Blog #2


Ever since I got into sports, I would need some kind of coordination and balance. For track and field, you need the coordination from running to throwing shot put. My main even in track is throwing shot and discus. The main thing that you need is balance and coordination. In balance, you would need to control the way how you want to hold the shot put and the discus.The other par for balance is the way you want to stand and how you want to stand. For coordination is for the amount of speed to have to get the out of your hands. You are probably thinking how this connects to class? The cerebellum mostly helps out with coordinating movement and and the balance. If you ever injured your cerebellum, it would be a hard time walking, keeping the balance or shaking hands. For example: David Beckham plays for a soccer team in California and he has to find the perfect time to hit the ball in the net. He has to do that while the other team tries to block him. Like my mom always tells me it's better to be coordinated then not. (I know that part is not funny)

This article was about restoring the an artificial cerebellum into some rats that have lost function in the brain. With a new cerebellum. it could soon replace parts of tissues that might have ruined from different kinds of conditions. Matti Mintz from Tel Aviv University in Israel created a synthetic cerebellum that which it can get sensory from the brain-stem. What it can do is that is sends a signal to the different areas of the brain-stem to send the information. One of the functions was of the cerebellum is to help coordination and time the movement. They tested the chips in two ways: one way was turning it on and the other time was not even connecting the chip to the rat. Like this person, we wanted to learn the way the cerebellum move and learn the sequences. And also to learn about the motor reflexes that everyone has. If we ever lived without our cerebellum, then we wouldn't find our way and we would keep losing our balance and falling all over the place.
The link for the article link is in the title.
I must be completely lacking a cerebellum, because I have no balance or coordination whatsoever. Was told, however, I could become better coordinated by standing on one leg and lifting the other one by my shoulder and staring at a point on the wall for 5 minutes. So far, I haven't gotten there. But interesting information about the cerebellum!! It can probably be exercised just like a muscle . . . yes?
ReplyDelete