My mom uses it on me all the time
Whenever I need to get something for a class or just something for sport practice my mom would tell me that i would have to earn them in order to get the thing that I need. When i was a little girl I was kind of little spoiled and got what I wanted; from dolls to easy bake ovens. But now that I am older I have to start help around the house. At first when I did it, I never got a reward....but then when my mom actually seeing me doing the dishes and taking out the garbage, she started to give me money whenever i was helping. As for I didn't what I need to do she would not give me any. Parents do this to their kids because when they give their kids a reward for doing chores, then the kids know that they know they are do something good. But if they don't do what they were suppose to, then they either get taken away or they could get grounded for a certain amount of time.
In our book on page 315 there are 4 steps for home to reinforce your behaviors and others:
1. State your goal
2. Monitor how often you engage in your desired behavior
3. Reinforce the desired behavior
4. Reduce the rewards gradually
I thought those experiments, today, were great! You would think that they would have an easy time getting the squirrels in the vase and getting the reward but it took awhile! It surprised me how long it took! This technique works really well with training animals, but with children I don't think it works that well for. For instance, if you are rewarding your child everytime they make an accomplishment, are they really being rewarded? Or, are they just doing it to get the reward?
ReplyDelete